AMD Releases Catalyst 14.7 RC Driver: No Windows 8 Support
Ryan Martin / 3 years ago
AMD released their Catalyst 14.6 RC drivers not that long ago, that new driver package included some notable improvements including the ability to run mixed-resolution Eyefinity setups. Now AMD have replaced 14.6 RC with 14.7 RC. The new driver update, like 14.6 RC, does not include native Windows 8 support. Windows 8 users will be expected to make the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 to use Catalyst 14.7 RC. If this upgrade is not possible Windows 8 users are stuck in a rut because AMD is not including support for Windows 8 until a “future Catalyst” release which will allow Windows 8 to support new driver updates by running them with the Windows 7 WDDM 1.1 driver.
Features of the new 14.7 RC driver include:
- Includes all improvements found in the AMD Catalyst 14.6 RC driver
- AMD CrossFire and AMD Radeon Dual Graphics profile update for Plants vs. Zombies
- Assassin’s Creed IV – improved CrossFire scaling (3840×2160 High Settings) up to 93%
- Collaboration with AOC has identified non-standard display timings as the root cause of 60Hz SST flickering exhibited by the AOC U2868PQU panel on certain AMD Radeon graphics cards. A software workaround has been implemented in AMD Catalyst 14.7 RC driver to resolve the display timing issues with this display.
- Users are further encouraged to obtain newer display firmware from AOC that will resolve flickering at its origin.
- Users are additionally advised to utilize DisplayPort-certified cables to ensure the integrity of the DisplayPort data connection.
The new 14.7 RC driver, which can be downloaded here, supports all AMD GPUs from the Rx 200 series down to the HD 5000 series and all AMD APUs from the current A10 to A4 series, and in the E2-xxxx series. A similar level of mobile GPU/APU support is also offered.
Image courtesy of AMD