Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
Peter Donnell / 2 months ago
Corsair pride themselves on creating many of the best keyboards on the market, loved by PC enthusiasts and gamers around the world for their premium feature sets, incredible lighting effects, class-leading build quality and so much more. Now Corsair has gone back to one of their post popular K-series boards, and made it better than ever, with new lighting tech, tweaked ergonomics, a new wrist rest design and so much more. Of course, this being the flagship keyboard from Corsair, it’s also quite expensive, but does the phrase “you get what you pay for” still hold true when you’re spending closer to £200 on a keyboard? Let’s find out!
As you can see, the K95 RGB Platinum isn’t lacking in features, with a high-quality aluminium frame, their most powerful per-key lighting system to date, dedicated multimedia controls, programmable keys and dedicated macro keys, Cherry MX switches, full key rollover and anti-ghosting, and so much more!
- Aircraft-grade anodized brushed aluminum frame: Built to withstand a lifetime of gaming. Lightweight and rugged durability, necessary for a keyboard that’s going to see a lot of action.
- 8MB profile storage with hardware macro and lighting playback: Allow access up to three stored profiles on the go, independent of external software.
- Dynamic multicolor per key backlighting with LightEdge: Adjust each key’s color and illumination level in addition to 19-zones on the top edge light bar for sophisticated and dramatic animations and effects.
- 100% CHERRY MX Speed RGB mechanical key switches: Unleash blistering speed with the 1.2mm actuation and durability of gold contact CHERRY MX mechanical keyswitches.
- 6 programmable G-keys keys for in-game macros: Assign single keystrokes or complex multi-key combos to any of the 6 dedicated macro keys.
- USB Pass-Through Port: Provides convenient access to an additional USB port for your mouse or headset.
- Detachable, dual-sided soft-touch wrist rest: The comfort to enhance your gameplay during marathon gaming sessions. Choose between two different surfaces for optimal comfort.
- Dedicated volume and multimedia controls: Control to adjust audio on-the-fly, without interrupting your game.
- 100% anti-ghosting with full key rollover: No matter how fast your in-game actions are, every keypress registers correctly.
- Fully programmable with CUE: Intuitive and powerful Corsair Utility Engine (CUE) enables sophisticated macro programming and fast, fluid dynamic multicolor illumination.
- Windows Key lock mode: Stay focused and prevent accidental Windows and Context Menu key presses.
- FPS and MOBA keycap sets: Textured and contoured keycaps provide maximum grip and enhanced feel.
The keyboard comes in a choice of switches, with MX RGB Brown or MX Speed RGB on offer. We have the MX Speed RGB model in the office today, which are similar to MX Red but use a 1.2mm actuation distance, vs the 2mm of red.
Packaging and Accessories
The K95 RGB Platinum comes in a very nicely designed box, showing off the keyboard design and its RGB lighting in the main image, as well as detailing the switch type, in this case, it’s MX Speed.
The outer box opens out, and inside you’ll find this very durable protective box with the Corsair logo on it.
Take the lid off that box, and you’ll see that the keyboard comes very securely packaged, with protective thick cardboard on all sides, as well as thick plastic protecting it from moisture and dust.
In the box, you’ll find all of the usual documentation, a handy key cap removal tool, as well as tho sets of rubber grip coated gaming keys for FPS and MOBA game types.
Finally, we also have this lovely detachable wrist rest, which features a reversible top cover, but we’ll take a closer look at that shortly.