SteelSeries and Gunnar Optiks pair up to produce specially designed gaming glasses
Andy Ruffell / 6 years ago
SteelSeries, a company specializing in gaming peripheral, recently teamed up with Gunnar Optiks, a company specializing in protective and enhancing eye-wear, to produce a new sort of gaming peripheral combining the experience of both companies to come up with the Desmo.
When playing long gaming sessions, the eye can take a lot more hit than you character, with the artificial light as well as the monitor’s light, your eyes can be stressed out a lot and can create serious problems on your efficiency. The Desmo gaming eye-wear has been specially designed to avoid this problem, featuring Gunnar’s i-AMP lens technology, they improve visual efficiency, endurance and recovery during gaming sessions.
The semi-rimless design provides the wearer an exceedingly broad visual field to allow complete focus on the screen minimizing distraction factors. The flexible and lightweight frame provides a stable fit, and the ultra-slim temple rest won’t create any disturbance with headsets.
“We’ve been collaborating with the GUNNAR Optiks team in marketing and events for more than two years now, including the launch of our first co-branded eyewear model, the SteelSeries Scope,” said Bruce Hawver, SteelSeries CEO. “When we started on this new design, it was important that it was more than just lightweight and comfortable, but that the lens shape, frame style and temples were chosen and perfected in order to impact and improve the way players saw their game. We believe we’ve achieved that goal with the Desmo and are excited for players to try it out.”
The Desmo comes in two color; Desmo Onyx and Desmo Snow (limited edition, pictured below).
“SteelSeries is a fantastic partner,” said Rob Aarnes, president of GUNNAR. “They’ve pushed us to the next level in our joint design of the SteelSeries Desmo and we are proud to put the eyewear into our Advanced Gaming Eyewear Collection. We expect it to be an immediate success as we roll it out to the market.”
In addition to all this, the user is provided with enhanced visual performances giving immediate visual advantages by combining a large variety of features:
- Tint: Specially formulated tint conditions and shifts the color spectrum to provide superior contrast, detail and resolution.
- Wrap/Shape: Features a highly wrapped, curved lens shape limiting air flow and maintaining moisture near the eyes, while providing a slight focusing power to help ease eye fatigue and enhancing detail for sharper, clearer vision.
- Material: A proprietary lens material that is optically pure, insuring the clearest image by eliminating distortion, impurities and haze.
- Coatings: An anti-reflective coating that reduces glare and other distractions caused by reflective light.
- 20/20 or Rx: Out of the box ready for 20/20 vision or used with corrective contact lenses, and also prescription compatible in partnership with Carl Zeiss Vision with optional coverage by VSP Insurance (for more information refer here).
Here are two videos from Gunnar Optiks explaining their lens geometry and tint technology:
Providing a premium visual experience as well a giving an edge to the wearer in the long run, the SteelSeries Desmo Onyx are available for $99.99/€99.99 from both the SteelSeries and Gunner web shops while the Desmo Snow limited edition is available at the same price but only from the SteelSeries web shop.