Thecus expands compatibility list for NAS devices
Andy Ruffell / 5 years ago
With the flooding in Thailand, HDD productions have been stopped which resulted in a price ‘tsunami.’ For the storage hungry, NAS have proved to be one of the most useful tools, but now that prices make it hard to upgrade, NAS devices restricted to certain models have created problem to owners going short on free space.
Thecus has been working to aid their costumers in expanding their HDD compatibility list for some of their NAS devices.
All the V5 NAS units are now given the compatibility for the Seagate 3TB Barracuda ST3000DM001/ST2000DM001, unfortunately that’s all there is.
The iSCSI, on the other hand, has a much longer list of added compatibility:
- Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723030ALA640/HDS723020BLA642
- Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 HDS722020ALA330
- Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332
- Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632
- Hitachi Ultrastar A7k2000 HUA722010CLA330
- Seagate Constellation ES.2 ST33000650NS
- Seagate Constellation ES ST2000NM0011
- WD VelcoiRaptor WD6000HLHX
- WD RE4 WD2003FYYS/WD1003FBYX/WD5003ABYX
So V5 NAS users are a bit restricted, but it’s still better than nothing, iSCSI users however are getting a real treat as they can now go through the list of compatible drives and choose their upgrade based on their need and/or price.
In the end, whether you’re a NAS user or not, you’re just like everyone else, desperate for the HDD prices to come back down.