ASUS RoG Zenith Extreme X399 Motherboard Review
Peter Donnell / 2 years ago
ASUS RoG Zenith Extreme X399
Threadripper is finally here, and with the new giant CPU comes the new high-end motherboards. Today, we’ll be kicking off with the flagship ASUS Zentine Extreme, one of the most feature packed boards in the X399 range. Obviously, it’ll have the new AMD TR4 Socket and all the swanky new features that brings. This is the first time in a long time AMD have had something to compete with the HEDT hardware from Intel, so let’s take a look at what it has to offer.
AMD X399 EATX Gaming Motherboard with M.2 heatsink, Aura Sync RGB LED, 802.11ad Wi-Fi, DDR4 3600MHz, triple M.2, 10G Lan card, U.2 and USB 3.1 Gen 2
- AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ processor series: Ready for the latest TR4 sockets CPUs
- Onboard M.2 Heatsink: Cools your M.2 drive, delivering consistent storage performance and enhanced reliability.
- Synchronise RGB lighting: With a vast portfolio of Aura Sync capable PC gear – now with support for addressable light strips
- ROG DIMM.2: Dual M.2 expansion card allows use of fans to prevent throttling
- LiveDash OLED : Customisable panel displays vital system stats or your own logo
- Best gaming networking: Intel Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ad Wi-Fi, LANGuard and GameFirst technologies
- Gaming audio: SupremeFX S1220 teamed with Sonic Studio III, cast an aural landscape that draws you deeper into the action.
- 5-Way Optimisation: Automated system-wide tuning, providing overclocking and cooling profiles that are tailor made for your rig
- Best gaming protection: SafeSlot, and carefully-selected premium components for maximum durability
As you can see, this motherboard has more features that most people will likely ever need. However, key features like DIMM.2, 8 X DDR4 slots, USB 3.1, 4-Way SLI, and high-end audio are always welcome. Add to that, RGB lighting, a funky OLED display and pre-installed I/O, to name but a few, are all welcome additions too.
ROG ZENITH EXTREME
“More than a decade ago, ROG started with the original Crosshair motherboard for Athlon 64 FX CPUs. Our history began on AMD’s high-end desktop platform, and now with its X399 chipset & Ryzen Threadripper CPU, we have ROG Zenith Extreme. Named after the highest point in the celestial body, the new Extreme brings advanced overclocking, cooling and lighting together to push the limits of dream builds. ROG Zenith Extreme is locked, loaded and ready to rip.” – ASUS RoG
This motherboard doesn’t come cheap, but it is packed with crazy and awesome features. However, it comes with a LOT more too. There’s a couple of SLI bridges, fan control expansion hub, and an M.2 expansion hub. Of course, there are two things that a LOVE about this bundle of goodies, a 10Gbe networking adaptor! And best of all, all the drivers and software come on USB, yay for finally ditching the CD-Rom!