ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4 Motherboard Review
Peter Donnell / 2 years ago
The new Z690 motherboards are here at last, bringing in a huge wave of new features for those investing in the latest Intel 12th Gen processors! Of course, I already brought you a preview of the ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4 just last week, but I couldn’t talk about the performance… well, now I can! This new generation of motherboards brings a suite of new features like DDR4/DDR5, PCIe Gen 5.0, PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2, Intel WiFi 6, Thunderbolt 4 and more, so I’m expecting great performance from these new motherboards. While the TUF may not be the flagship ASUS model, it’s still very well equipped and I suspect in terms of price and features, it’ll prove one of their most popular options too.
ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4
The ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4 is one of the boards I’ve been most excited to actually test for this launch. Sure, the more extreme models are cool, but realistically, I’m more likely to buy the TUF Gaming version myself. It’s well enough equipped, with a 14+1 DrMOS Power Stage 80A design, which should be more than enough to hit big boost clocks on the new CPUs from Intel. You get the latest PCIe 5.0 interface, four PCIe 4.0 M.2 slots, the latest Intel WiFi 6 and Intel 2.5 Gb Ethernet, a good mixture of the latest USB technologies, and a Thunderbolt 4 header (on the motherboard, not the rear I/O). However, one major difference is that this motherboard uses DDR4, not the new DDR5. This means the cost is lower, but also, you may not need to buy new RAM if you’re upgrading.
- Intel® LGA 1700 socket: Ready for 12th Gen Intel Core™ processors
- Enhanced power solution: 14+1 DrMOS, six-layer PCB, ProCool sockets, alloy chokes and durable capacitors for stable power delivery
- Next-gen connectivity: PCIe® 5.0, USB 3.2 Gen2x2 Type-C®, front USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C, Thunderbolt™ 4 header support
- Made for online gaming: WiFi 6, Intel 2.5 Gb Ethernet and TUF LANGuard
- Two-way AI Noise-Cancelation: Reduces background noise from the microphone and audio output for crystal-clear communication in games or video conferences
- Comprehensive cooling: Enlarged VRM heatsink, PCH fanless heatsink, M.2 heatsinks, hybrid fan headers and Fan Xpert 4 utility in Armoury Crate
- Outshine RGB Aura Effect: Stylish edge and PCH lighting design, addressable RGB headers and RGB strip header support
For in-depth specifications, please visit the official ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4 product page here.
Tell Me More
“ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 takes all the essential elements of the latest Intel® processors and combines them with game-ready features and proven durability. Engineered with military-grade components, an upgraded power solution and a comprehensive cooling system, this motherboard offers rock-solid and stable performance for marathon gaming. Aesthetically, TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 sports the new TUF Gaming logo and incorporates simple geometric design elements to reflect the dependability and stability that defines the TUF Gaming series.” – ASUS
Z690 and 12th Gen Reviews
- Intel 12th Gen Core i5-12600K, i7-12700K & i9-12900K CPU Review
- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME Motherboard Review
- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO Motherboard Review
- ASUS ROG Z690-I Gaming WiFi Motherboard Review
- Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro Motherboard Review
- Gigabyte Z690 AORUS XTREME Motherboard Review
- Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Master Motherboard Review
- MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 Motherboard Review
- MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi Motherboard Review
- MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY Motherboard Review
Of course, for this review, use the navigation menu below to see more!