Beautiful Ceramic Xiaomi Mi Mix is All Screen
Ashley Allen / 2 years ago
Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi has developed a stunning new phablet, crafted in ceramic and with a barely-existent bezel. The Xiaomi Mi Mix is a 6.4-inch handset with ceramic rear and side buttons and a 91.3% screen-to-body ratio. The incredible aesthetic of the Mi Mix is thanks to renowned French designer Philippe Starck, best known for his inventive industrial and architectural work, such as New York’s redesigned Paramount Hotel.
To achieve such an impressive screen, Xiaomi has removed the traditional top sensors, moving the front-facing camera to the bottom, replacing the earpiece with a piezoelectric speaker which generates sound through its frame, and the proximity sensor is now an internal ultrasound device.
“Every geek has that fantasy of the “ultimate smartphone” in their heads and today we just unveiled the smartphone of our dreams: Mi MIX, Xiaomi’s concept phone, an imagining of the smartphone of the future built with only the best of today’s technology, designed jointly with Philippe Starck,” says Hugo Barra, Vice President of International for Xiaomi. “It is our first smartphone with an edgeless design, and a 6.4” 17:9 custom display with an incredible 91.3% screen-to-body ratio—the highest on any smartphone in the world. In order to achieve this, we completely overhauled the earpiece speaker, proximity sensor, and front camera with next-gen tech (don’t worry, the headphone jack is intact for now ).”
Barra lists the Mix Mi’s key features as:
- 4” edgeless display: Ultra-high 91.3% screen-to-body ratio—highest on any smartphone to date
- Full ceramic body: Ceramic back cover, frame, and side buttons, 8 MoHs hardness. Seamless connectors fuse Mi MIX’s body without any external adhesives
- Cantilever piezoelectric ceramic acoustic technology replaces the traditional earpiece speaker, allowing you to listen to calls without the earpiece
- Ultrasonic proximity sensor hidden behind the display, replaces traditional infrared proc sensorCustom 17:9 display, large 16:9 viewing area even with soft keys
- Soft keys with auto-hide Quick Ball allow easy navigation and reachability while keeping Mi MIX sleek and minimalist
- Compact front camera, 50% smaller than traditional camera modules, imperceptibly located along Mi MIX’s “chin”
- Custom round-edged display allowed us to create a more immersive, edgeless viewing experience Snapdragon 821 at 2.35GHz
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM + 128GB UFS 2.0 storage; 6GB + 256GB (Mi MIX 18k)
- 4400mAh battery, Quick Charge 3.0
- Full NFC Functionality: Read, write, card emulation, P2P, Mi Pay ready
- HD audio quality, 192kHz / 24-bit resolution
- GPS high-precision positioning
- 16MP PDAF rear camera
- MIUI 8
- Mi MIX 18k with 18-karat gold rims around camera and fingerprint sensor; 6GB + 256GB
- RMB 3499 (4GB + 128GB); RMB 3999 Mi MIX 18k (6GB + 256GB)
The Xiaomi Mi Mix is set to launch only in China right now – priced ¥3,499 – on 4th November, but will be internationally available from reliable Chinese importers, such as GearBest.