Commander: The Great War – Details, Screenshots and Trailer launched
Peter Donnell / 7 years ago
Commander: The Great War, which is due for release Q1 2012, is the third in a series of high level turn based strategy games. Developed by The Lordz Games Studio, it features a brand new engine and countless new features, while staying faithful to the original game’s design philosophy. The game spans the First World War, allowing players to control the Central Powers or the Entente Alliance through the entire war.
At the heart of the conflict, when men fought for every inch of land, only visionary leaders could make the choices that would lead their troops to victory. The remarkable sequence of events that inexorably led to the ‘Great War’ and the names of these leaders are written in our history books and pictured in our movies. Now a turn-based strategy game captures this time of war with unprecedented realism and accuracy.
The new engine runs faster and allows players to enjoy the epic hex based campaign map in full wide screen. Slitherine’s revolutionary play by e-mail system will also bring a whole new level of excitement in Multiplayer battles.
- A huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east.
- 5 Grand Campaigns, each starting in a different year of the war, at the start of a historical offensive: 1914 The Great War, 1915 Ypres – Artois, 1916 The Battle of Verdun, 1917 The Nivelle Offensive and 1918 The Kaiserschlacht.
- Over 40 unique historical and “what-if” events triggered by conditions on the campaign map.
- 18 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Rail road Guns and Armoured Trains, Cruisers, Submarines and Battleships, Fighters, Bombers and Airships. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, based on their historical performance in the various theatres throughout the war.
- Attach historical Commanders to your units. Each has their own specific strengths, so decide wisely which Commander is most suited to which front. Three types of Commanders are available: Generals for ground units, Admirals at sea and flying Aces to strengthen your air units.
- Invest in research and technology to improve your units. Aircraft evolve from fragile tools of aerial observation to deadly ground and air attack planes. Artillery barrages become ever more accurate and powerful. Or focus on Armour technology and unleash a dreadful new weapon on the battlefield: the Tank.
- Detailed and realistic combat that models supply, morale, terrain, leadership, equipment, training and fog of war.
- Multi-player via Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.
- Easy to learn, hard to master game play.
- An all new engine, supporting any display resolution from 1024×600 upwards and includes full wide screen support.
- Extreme modifiability using the lua scripting language, allowing players to alter many aspects of gameplay including combat, research, unit stats, terrain effects and many more.