Cybenetics Launches Mining Ready PSU Certification Program
Ashley Allen / 1 month ago
Cryptocurrency mining is resurgent right now, mainly thanks to Ethereum. To support this cryptocurrency mining renaissance, PSU certifier Cybenetics has launched a new program to certify the best power supply units for the job.
Mining Ready PSU Testing
The Cybenetics mining program seeks to find PSUs that operate well under heavy load for long periods when running multiple GPUs. As a consequence, longevity for both the PSU itself and the fan are vital. In addition, the certification considers efficiency and cost-effectiveness. However, the program discounts noise levels since mining requires fans to run at full-speed most of the time.
PSU Mining Test Criteria
Cybenetics uses the following prerequisites to identify suitable mining PSUs:
- 750W or higher capacity.
- ETA-B and higher efficiency certification.
- Lower than 50mV ripple at +12V under full load at increased operating temperatures (>45°C).
- Quality Fan (sleeve-bearing and rifle-bearing fans are automatically excluded).
- Two EPS connectors.
- At least four 6+2 pin PCIe connectors on dedicated cables. In case a cable hosts two PCIe connectors, it needs to have 16AWG gauges up to the first connector for the six out of the eight pins at least. For PSUs with over 1kW capacity the number of minimum PCIe connectors is eight and for PSUs with over 1.4kW capacity the minimum is ten.
- At least four 4-pin Molex connectors on more than two cables in 1kW and stronger PSUs and six 4-pin Molex connectors in three cables for 1.4kW and higher wattage PSUs.
- All peripheral cables should use 18AWG wires minimum.
- AC power cord with up to 14AWG wires and C19 coupler for 1.4kW and stronger PSUs. For all the rest 16AWG is required.
- The essential protection features (SCP, OPP) including Over Temperature Protection.
- Over 18ms hold-up time and an accurate power ok signal.
- Complete EMI filtering stage (minimum components: 4x Y caps, 2x X caps, two CM chokes, an MOV) along with inrush current protection (thermistor and bypass relay).
- Impeccable build quality including quality MOSFETs, high quality bulk and filtering capacitors (105°C and the majority of filtering caps on the secondary side much have higher than 4,000 hours lifetime). The extended use of polymer caps on the secondary side is preferred.
Ultimately, Cybenetics aims to establish a Mining Ready PSU database, but only when it has enough data to maintain it. In the meantime, it will release PSU mining test data on-demand.