A Dark Souls Trilogy Box Set Is Going To Be Released
Mike Sanders / 6 months ago
Dark Souls Trilogy Box Set
When a brand new game is released, it’s not uncommon for the publisher to tie in a ‘collectors edition’. Generally speaking, it will contain some postcards, a nice full-colour manual, maybe even a figurine.
These ‘collectors editions’ can be very hit and miss in regards to value for money. For example, we recently highlighted the release of Assassins Creed Origins premium collectors edition costing $800. While you can check-out the details for that box set here, needless to say, we stick by our guns that you would have to be mildly insane to consider a box set at that price.
In this instance, however, the Dark Souls Trilogy box set does have a little bit of logic. With Dark Souls: Remastered announced for release on May 25th, this will signify the likely final instalment of the gaming series. Well, of course, pending any re-re-release in 10 years time. This box set may, therefore, represent the final, definitive version of the trilogy. Star Wars fans will probably take such statements with a pinch of salt.
What will be included in the Dark Souls set?
With a retail value of about $450, rather a lot you would hope, but let’s see what you get.
- A pretty impressive looking box (although I must confess, I’m a little disappointed they didn’t use a mimic chest).
- Physical copies of all the games including copies of all of the DLC.
- Copies of each game’s soundtrack. While this often sounds a bit of a lazy addition, the soundtrack to all of the Dark Souls is actually very good.
- A pair of bookends (because one would be just plain silly).
- Ten art prints on card.
- 3 physical dictionaries containing images and descriptions for every item in each game of the series.
Now, while it might not sound like much, lore hunters will be all over that dictionary. Dark Souls is unusual when it comes to lore. On the surface, there is very little story, but a little scratching finds a remarkably deep tale.
While I’m not certain if it’s worth $450, I can’t deny I’m a little tempted. It’s at this point, however, that I have to drop some bad news. In a report via IGN, while the box set is due for release a day early (on May 24th) it is not currently set for release in the ‘West’.
So unless you are really into your Dark Souls, or can read Japanese, this one might not be for you. Which I think is a pity.