DLSS Released as Free Plugin for UE4
Peter Donnell / 5 months ago
There’s no doubt that DLSS was a real game-changer for Nvidia and games alike. Their Deep Learning Super Sampling technology, or DLSS for short, is an incredible piece of technology that can take a game rendering at a lower resolution, then upscale it. While upscaling is nothing new, it hasn’t exactly a standard feature on PC games. DLSS differs from a simple algorithm though, as the system has been trained on a neural net and due to this, the technology got better with simple driver updates.
Now all developers can take full advantage of this technology. The DLSS plugin is being made available to all Unreal Engine 4 developers. Given how many games use that game engine, I’d expect to see a LOT of developers patching it into existing and upcoming titles very quickly.
I’m a big fan of DLSS, and given that I game at 4K, the difference it can make to frame rates is impressive. What’s most impressive, however, is how little impact it has on the visuals. I can’t even tell it’s applied in some cases, but that can vary per game and scene. Of course, there are different levels of DLSS, ranging from Ultra-Performance to quality modes, so you can always dial in what you require.
NVIDIA has released its Deep Learning Super Sampling tech, DLSS, as a free plugin to all Unreal Engine 4 developers. As such, UE4 developers can download this free plugin and implement it in their projects whenever they want.
“NVIDIA DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) is groundbreaking AI rendering technology that takes your visual fidelity to a whole new level using dedicated Tensor Core AI processors on GeForce RTX™ GPUs. DLSS taps into the power of a deep learning neural network to boost frame rates and generate beautiful, sharp images for your games. You even get the performance headroom to maximise ray tracing settings and increase output resolution.” – Nvidia
Unreal Engine 4 Plugin
NVIDIA DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) is groundbreaking AI rendering technology that takes visual fidelity to a whole new level using dedicated Tensor Core AI processors on GeForce RTX™ GPUs. DLSS taps into the power of a deep learning neural network to boost frame rates and generate beautiful, sharp images for your games. Game devs now get performance headroom to maximize ray tracing settings and increase output resolution.
- Uncompromised Quality with Higher Performance: Enjoy ray tracing and ultra-high resolutions with NVIDIA DLSS technology. It uses advanced AI rendering to produce image quality that’s comparable to native resolution–and sometimes even better–while only conventionally rendering a fraction of the pixels. New temporal feedback techniques give you incredibly sharp image details and improved stability from frame to frame.
- Customizable Options: DLSS lets you choose several image quality modes—from Quality to Ultra Performance. You can choose how you want to balance quality and performance by controlling the game’s internal rendering resolution. Performance mode enables up to 4X AI super-resolution (i.e. 1080p -> 4K) while the new Ultra-Performance mode enables up to 9X AI super-resolution (1440p -> 8K)
- Fully integrated into the Unreal Editor UI
- Includes Blueprint library for seamless integration of DLSS into application logic
- Support for packaged projects as well as for Editor focused workflows
- Supported Development Platforms: Windows 64-bit
- Supported Target Build Platforms: Windows 64-bit
- Supported RHIs: VulkanRHI, D3D11RHI, D3D12RHI
- Minimum Driver Requirement: 461.40 Grab the latest driver from nvidia.com
- Documentation: DLSS Plugin Installation Guide
- Example Project: NGXTest Sample Project on GitHub
Download the Unreal Engine 4 DLSS Plugin here!