This Ford Designed Xbox One Controller is Seriously Cool!
Peter Donnell / 3 years ago
A Ford designed Xbox One controller you say? What kind of madness is this! OK, first things first, this isn’t a real controller, it’s a marketing stunt, but I’m already twitching at my wallet hoping that it becomes a reality, because this may be the coolest Xbox One controller yet!
The mock-up of the new controller is based around the new Elite controller, which features the flappy paddles on the back. However, this controller has been tweaked even further to make it the ultimate racing controller, short of investing in a full set of wheel and pedals, of course.
The left analog stick has been tweaked with a curved head, giving it wings on the left and right edges to mimic the Ford GT wheel shape, making is more suitable for left and right adjustments, since up and down bare little relevance in steering a car; this should give your thumb excellent grip for those tight corners. If that wasn’t enough, the rear triggers have been replaced with racing pedals, which in themselves look freaking awesome. The housing of the controller is made from carbon fiber, making it super strong and lightweight, and the rear panel has been made transparent like the engine cover on the new Ford GT.
- Xbox Elite Wireless Controller is a one-off design exercise from the Xbox Hardware team inspired by the Ford GT and the release of Forza Motorsport 6 which features the Ford GT on the cover.
- Carbon Fiber case parts create rigidity and lightness in the controller, the same way it is used on the GT chassis.
- Custom metallic paint job matched to Ford’s specifications.
- Left thumbstick shape inspired by the GT steering wheel and angled towards the player for a more ergonomic experience. A horizontal movement limiter also ensures efficiency and accuracy in steering.
- Custom paddles inspired by the steering column paddles shifters on the GT. Program them on your Xbox One to shift up, down and even to engage the clutch.
- See through battery door and custom battery pack inspired by the engine compartment and EcoBoost V6 engine.
- Cutaway brake and accelerator triggers reveal the impulse motors that give Forza Motorsport 6 its realistic feel.
Now all we need is for them to actually make it, although given the Elite controller is already pretty darn expensive, I would expect this carbon fiber equipped beast to be a bit of a wallet buster.