Fractal Design Define R6 Tempered Glass Chassis Review
Peter Donnell / 9 months ago
With a strong history of making some of the most exceptional PC cases in the world, Fractal Design is back once again on eTeknix. Admittedly, Fractal took a little bit of a detour from their premium chassis designs for a while, focusing on other markets, system integrators and more affordable chassis designs. That’s great for them and their customers, but the Define series has been long overdue an update. The Define R6 is designed from the ground up while keeping some classic design features that define the Define series.
Concerning features, this chassis is seriously packing them in. With great water and air cooling support, a powerful Nexus+ Smart Hub for fan control, tempered glass, anodised aluminium and more, it’s every bit the premium chassis you would expect. As you can see from the list below, there’s not a lot it can’t do. However, a list of specifications is only part of the story, so let’s dive right in for a closer look and see for ourselves what is on offer!
Check out my review of the Define S, Define R5, and dust of the cobwebs on my review of the R2 XL from over five years ago… Jeez, I’ve been doing these chassis reviews for a while! I’m only a few away from my 300th chassis review. It’s certainly going to be interesting to see how far the new Fractal Design chassis has come along over the years!
- Optimized for silence with high-density industrial dampening on side, top and front panels
- Reversible front door with anodised aluminium cover and dual mounting system for adaptability with elegance
- Nine fan positions with intuitive layout and clear airflow paths offer massive cooling capacity
- Nexus+ Smart Hub offers superior fan control of six additional case fans and three extra PWM devices via your motherboard
- Three silent, airflow-optimised Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14, 140 mm fans, come pre-installed helping ensure superior airflow via two intake fans and a single exhaust.
- Extensive water cooling support with room for up to a 420 mm radiator in the top, 360 mm in the front, and up to 280 mm in the base
- Power supply shroud and Modular Storage Plate conceal HDD trays and excess cabling for a clean, clutter-free interior
- Third generation ModuVent™ technology gives users a choice between a soundproof steel cover or filtered multi-fan ventilation setup in the top panel
- Easy-to-clean high airflow nylon filters on the front, top, and base with full PSU coverage and front access for convenience
- Modular Storage Plate lets users easily convert between the Standard Layout for maximum storage capacity or the new Open Layout for superior water cooling support and clear air flow paths
- Vertical 2.5 slot GPU mount, compatible with the Fractal Design Flex VRC-25 PCI-E x16 Vertical GPU Riser Kit, showcases your graphics hardware with full visibility and secure fastening (sold separately)
- Highly modular interior includes six universal SSD/HDD trays that can be independently repositioned to suit components, cooling, and cable routing
- Customizable 2.5” storage solution consists of two brackets and a choice of four tray locations to keep drives hidden behind the motherboard tray or display them prominently on top of the PSU shroud
- Compatible with Fractal Design Connect D1 USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C Upgrade Kit for ultra-fast file transfers and fast charging (sold separately, requires a compatible motherboard)
What Fractal Design Had to Say
“Designed from the ground up, the Define R6 goes beyond iteration with a profound stride of innovation – the latest and largest step in the legacy of the world-renowned Define Series. Seamless tempered glass and sound dampened steel panels with an elegant push-to-lock latching mechanism encase an entirely redesigned interior with unprecedented component support and storage flexibility. Six 3.5”/2.5” drives and two 2.5” drives can be installed with precision placement in countless configurations throughout the case.” – Fractal Design