Fractal Design Node 804 Micro-ATX Chassis Review
Peter Donnell / 3 years ago
Cube chassis’ have been booming in popularity in recent years. Not only because they make stylish HTPC style cases for your living room, given that they look similar to your common subwoofer, but they also make great cases for the LAN gaming market. I’m sure many of you love using full tower chassis’ for the space they provide. However, there has been a shift to creating compact cases that can still pack some serious hardware and the new Fractal Design Node 804 promises to do just that.
The Node 804 isn’t exactly tiny, but it looks like Fractal Design is trying to balance a relatively compact design, without making any compromises on the kind of hardware you can install. It features a dual compartment design that allows for your motherboard, graphics cards, water cooling and more to be up front. While extra storage, your power supply, cable management and more are tucked out of sight in the back compartment.
- Highly effective dual chamber case layout for best possible cooling.
- Minimalistic design with an elegant brushed aluminum front panel
- Unique hard drive mounting system, fitting up to 8 x 3.5″, 4 x 2.5” or up to 10 x 3.5”, 2 x 2.5″ drives HDD/SSD
- Three Fractal Design Silent Series R2 fans included with the case and space for an additional 7 fans.
- Excellent water cooling support with space for up to 4 radiators simultaneously.
- All intakes feature removable dust filters providing a dust-free interior.
- Featuring a window side panel to show off your set up in style.
- Additional space in the front to mount a slim slot-in ODD, optical bay drive, and 2 x 2.5″ drives.
- Fan controller included.
- Five expansion slots that allows for multiple GPU setups.
- Micro ATX and Mini ITX motherboard compatibility
- 8 – 3.5″ HDD positions
- 2 – 2.5″ dedicated SSD unit positions
- 2 – Extra positions for either 3,5″ or 2,5″ drives
- 5 expansion slots
- 1 additional space in the front for Slot-In ODD
- 10 – Fan positions (3 x 120mm Silent Series R2 fans included)
- Filtered fan slots in front, top and bottom
- CPU coolers up to 160 mm in height
- PSU compatibility: ATX PSUs up to 260 mm deep
- Graphics card compatibility: Graphics cards up to 320mm in length. Graphics cards up to 290 mm in length may be installed if a fan is installed in the lower position in the front.
- Velcro strap for easy cable management
- Clear Window side panel included
- Colors available: Black
- Case dimensions (WxHxD): 344 x 307 x 389 mm
- Net weight: 6 kg
- Package dimensions (WxHxD): 370 x 468 x 412 mm
- Package weight: 7.7kg
- Front: 4 – 120mm fans (included is one hydraulic bearing 120mm Silent Series R2 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
- Rear: 1 – 120/140mm fan (included is a hydraulic bearing 120mm Silent Series R2 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
- Rear: 1 – 120mm fan slots (included is 1 hydraulic bearing 120mm Silent Series R2 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
- Top: 4 – 120x140mm fans (not included)
- Fan controller: 1 – Integrated fan controller for up to 3 fans (included)
Water cooling compatibility
- Front (right chamber) – 240 mm radiator configurations up to 60 mm thick (with fans) and 278 mm tall are allowed.
- Front (left chamber) – 240 mm radiator configurations up to 60 mm thick (with fans) and 278 mm tall are allowed. Using a radiator in this position prevents the use of a fan in the top position just next to it.
- Top (right chamber) – 240/280 mm radiators up to 130mm thick (with fans) may be fitted if the HDD drive bays are taken out or placed elsewhere. No limitation to thickness.
- Top (left chamber) – 240 mm radiator configurations up to 130 mm thick (with fans) will fit. Radiators in this position limits the height of memory modules to 48 mm tall.
Maximum radiator configuration: 1x240mm,1x280mm and 2x120mm radiators simultaneously.
The packaging is a pretty standard box; you’ll find specifications (as above) and a few diagrams around the sides of the box.
In the box you’ll find a small bracket, some spare rubber mounting washers, a huge pile of screws and fittings, cable ties and a user guide.
The chassis comes with protective film on the exterior and interior of the left side panel; this should help protect it from scratches while in transit.