Fractal Ion+2 Platinum 660W Power Supply Review
Mike Sanders / 2 years ago
We would freely admit that if you were asked to name PC component manufacturers, Fractal Design probably wouldn’t be one of the first names that tripped off your tongue. However, when brought to your attention, it’s hard to deny that they have an excellent reputation among the PC hardware community for supplying quality products at value for money prices. As such, with the launch of their brand new Fractal Ion+2 Platinum series of power supplies, we already knew before we even got our review sample out of the box that this was probably going to be an excellent PSU. – What good is probably though when we have all the tools necessary to give it a real in-depth look?…
Fractal Ion+2 Platinum 660W
Available in wattage outputs from 560 all the way up to 860, there is certainly something within the new Fractal Ion+2 Platinum range to suit all needs and requirements. And in terms of features, they are undoubtedly packing some exceptionally impressive attributes. There is, of course, and as the name might’ve already suggested, that 80-Plus Platinum efficiency rating. It does, however, go a lot deeper than that. The Fractal Ion+2 Platinum is a fully modular series of power supplies offering high levels of performance, a hybrid ‘smart’ fan functionality to keep acoustic output to an absolute minimum, and if that wasn’t enough, it also utilises 100% Japanese capacitors to give savvy consumers peace of mind that this is a truly quality product.
Within this review, we will be taking a closer look at the Fractal Ion+2 Platinum 660W and if we hadn’t got this across already, we expect this to be good!
What Does Fractal Design Have to Say?
“The Ion+ 2 Platinum is a modular, high-performance power supply unit with emphasis on quiet operation, enhanced cable flexibility and superior output quality. The newest generation features a multitude of electrical design improvements and pack-in accessories to ensure all models meet and exceed requirements of the latest high-end motherboards and ATX 2.52 specifications.
A user selectable semi-passive “Zero RPM” mode maintains pure silence under light loads, and the custom-tailored 140mm fan with FDB bearings remains barely audible even during heavy use.
All models include Fractal Design’s revolutionary UltraFlex DC cabling, a super high strand-count wire with specially formulated insulation that allows for extreme flexibility without loss of efficiency or current capacity. UltraFlex cables bend and twist effortlessly to simplify installation in tight spaces, allow precision cable-routing, and eliminate the inherent hassles of traditional rigid power supply wiring.
Ion+ 2 is available in 560, 660, 760 and 860 watt capacities, all with 80PLUS®Platinum Efficiency, 10-year warranty, and a full electrical protection suite.”
- 80PLUS® Platinum efficiency for optimized electricity use and reduced heat generation
- Great electrical output quality with tight voltage regulation and low ripple and noise
- Fully modular design for reduced clutter and maximum ease of installation and with Fractal Design UltraFlex™ (extra bendable soft cables) for better cable management
- Equipped with a large high-performance Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 140 mm fan, custom-tailored for power supply use with an exceptionally low minimum speed and a true long-life FDB bearing
- User selectable semi-passive operation allows for either passive operation in low load situations or continuous low speed fan operation for reduced component stress
- Compact 150 mm depth allows for installation in compact cases or provides additional cable management room in larger cases
- Premium Japanese 105°C capacitors provide maximum reliability and durability
- Extensive 10-year warranty and a full electrical protection suite provides peace of mind
- Supports the latest ATX 2.52 standard with improved start-up time and transient load response
- Premium storage bags for cables and PSU
- All models include two 8-pin ATX12V/EPS cables, ensuring compatibility with new motherboards
For more detailed specifications, please visit the official Fractal website via the link here!
Coming as a fully modular design, it’s always important to know that the power supply you pick for your system provides all the connectors necessary to successfully hook up your components while, for more savvy consumers, offering plenty of options for future upgrades. – While the Fractal Ion+2 Platinum 660W doesn’t offer absolutely masses of connections, for a power output of this type, it should still be more than sufficient for the vast majority of even quite potent gaming systems.