HighPoint RocketRAID 2840A 16-Channel HBA Now Available
Bohs Hansen / 3 years ago
HighPoint has announced the availability of the industry’s most affordable 16-Channel SAS RAID controller to date, the RocketRAID 2840A. The new HBA comes with an MSRP of just $249.00 while being low-profile and offering 16 drive channels.
The RocketRAID 2840A builds on the success of the market-proven RocketRAID 2700 series, but it breaks through the price barriers imposed on applications that demand PCIe 3.0 transfer performance.
Optimize and Maximize your Storage
The RocketRAID 2840A HBA allows you to build comprehensive yet compact storage setups. The 16 SAS/SATA channels and full RAID capability have been condensed into a compact, low-profile form factor. It offers the user RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50 and JBOD as well as non-RAID mode.
The add-in card features four SFF-8643 mini-SAS HD ports of which each port supports up to 6Gbps. The add-in itself is an 8-lane 8GT/s PCIe 3.0 card which makes it compatible with most mATX and larger motherboards. Also some mITX, but these small motherboards often carry 4-lane PCIe slots in x16 physical slots.
Low Cost does not Mean Low on Features
HighPoint took two decades of knowledge and condensed it into a compact controller full of professional-grade features, but they are doing it without breaking the users budget. The controller supports configurations of SAS or SATA hard drives of any disk format, including 512, 512e and 4Kn.
The HBA comes with integrated storage and RAID recovery features to enhance data retrieval from failed disks and streamlines rebuild sessions. Speaking of streamlined, the web-based management is so too. It offers a wealth of monitoring and maintenance features which enable administrators to check up on the system. Individual drives and arrays can be investigated and admins can easily schedule verification session to ensure the health.
Advanced options such as Online Capacity Expansion (OCE), and Online RAID Level Migration (ORLM) are also present. They allow administrators to add disks to or convert one RAID level to another in order to tune storage for maximum performance or data security.
The data setup is also future proofed through Online RAID Roaming. It allows owners to move existing RAID arrays to other RocketRAID controllers, RocketStor RAID Enclosures, and any future HighPoint RAID products.
Advanced RAID Feature List
- Flash ROM for Upgradeable BIOS
- Storage Health Inspector
- Redundant RAID Configurations
- BIOS PnP (plug and play) and BBS (BIOS boot specification) support
- Bootable RAID Array
- EFI for Mac Platform
- Multiple RAID Partitions supported
- Storage Configurations: Direct Attached
- Support up to 4 RAID controllers per system
- Online Array Roaming
- Online RAID Level Migration (ORLM)
- RAID Quick Initialization for fast array setup
- Online Capacity Expansion (OCE)
- Drive hot-plug support
- Global Hot Spare Disk support
- Automatic and configurable RAID Rebuilding Priority
- Auto resume incomplete rebuilding after power on or reboot system
- Disk Format compatible: 512, 512e, 4Kn
- Larger than 2 TB Drive and RAID Array support
- Spin down Massive Arrays of Idle Disks support
- Native Command Queuing
- Disk media scan and repair
- Device Error Recovery support
- Automatic remap and fix drive bad block for Redundant RAID Levels (RAID 1, 5, 6, 10, 50)
- Staggered Drive Spin Up
- Write Back and Write Through
Comprehensive OS Support
The RocketRAID 2840A is compatible with all major operating systems, including Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, Linux
Distributions and FreeBSD. This includes open source driver packages and a full-featured command line interface (CLI) in the Linux version. In addition, an API library is available for integration.
Pricing and Availability
The HighPoint RocketRAID 2840A (Product Link) is available now for a suggested retail price of $249.00.