Intel Unveils Three Free Game Promotion on Select Core i7 CPUs
John Williamson / 2 years ago
Intel’s flagship mainstream and enthusiast processors incur a hefty price increase compared to their i5 counterparts. Despite this, the lack of competition in the elite CPU tier, means Intel can charge extremely high prices and still manage to shift a large number of units. This is illustrated rather well by the current Skylake pricing scheme. For example, in the UK, an i7-6700K varies dramatically in price between £270-£360. Arguably, this is due to supply issues, but I haven’t seen any substantial reductions as of yet.
As you might expect, Skylake is designed to replace many of the older CPU architectures and Intel has launched an intriguing promotion on select models. When you purchase any qualifying product, Intel will provide a ‘Master Key’ which grants access to the Intel Enthusiast Game Voucher. The voucher contains the following three free games which apparently equates to $124.98:
- Counter Strike: GO ($14.99 Value)
- Just Cause 3 ($59.99 Value)
- World of Warships ($50 Value)
According to early listings from Newegg, it appears the promotion only applies to the following CPUs:
- Intel Core i7-5960X – $1049.99
- Intel Core i7-5930K – $584.99
- Intel Core i7-5820K – $384.99
- Intel Core i7-4930K – $599.99
- Intel Core i7-4820K – $329.99
- Intel Core i7-4790 – $309.99
- Intel Core i7-4790 S – $304.99
- Intel Core i7-4771 – $319.99
- Intel Core i7-4770 – $304.99
- Intel Core i7-4770 S – $305.99
This is subject to change, but the key omissions are the i7-4770K and i7-4790K. This is bizarre considering these two chips have been the primary choice for the enthusiast market. However, perhaps Intel feels there’s no need to incentive sales on the i7-4770K and i7-4790K. This exercise appears to be designed to shift old stock, and transfer people to Intel’s latest products.
The promotion is valid until the 15th February 2016 from participating retailers.