Libratone Lounge Speaker Review
Tim Mammatt / 7 years ago
It’s not every day that two of us get summoned to our office’s reception to collect a rather large package, especially when we had no idea what to expect. After we both carried the package up stairs, we placed it on our desk and began wondering what it could be, we knew it must be some sort of speaker due to the shape and weight of it, but really couldn’t put our finger on what we had requested. We couldn’t wait any longer, so we quickly started the unpacking process, to reveal yet another large box and then every thing became clear.
We had been sent a speaker from Libratone, a Copenhagen based company that produces high quality wireless speakers. They focus on three main points with their products: Scandinavian design, wireless technology and high quality audio to produce powerful, contemporary speakers. We had requested this product over three months ago, but due to high demand and lack of stock, it wasn’t until now that we finally got to get our hands on it.
It’s not every day we get a product of such high caliber (and price) in to review, so we were excited to see if the Libratone Lounge speaker would end our quest for perfect audio. The Libratone Lounge makes use of Apple’s AirPlay technology, which also means you will need an Apple device to make use of it’s wireless functionality, so could this just be one of the most expensive Apple accessories?
Many companies try and produce crystal clear audio with deep, powerful bass, but many seem to slack in one form or another. Even then, if they do manage to achieve this, they then slap a whacking great big price tag on. With the Libratone Lounge coming in with an RRP of around £1200, we have very high expectations! So lets see if this speaker system really is worth all that hard earned cash.
Specification (from Libratone’s site)
- TECHNOLOGY – Wireless active speaker with built-in Digital Signal Processing and Digital Amplification. Implements Libratone patent-pending FullRoom™ acoustic technology for exceptional sound performance.
- AIRPLAY – Works with iPad, iPad 2, the new iPad, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch (4th, 3rd and 2nd generations) with iOS 4.2 and iTunes 10.1 (Mac or PC) or later.
- INPUTS – AirPlay (wireless) and 3.5-mm audio minijack for analog or optical digital sound.
- AMPLIFIER – 150W total. 1x50W bass, 2x25W tweeter & 2x25W midrange.
- DRIVE UNITS – 1×8″ inverted woofer, 2×4″ ceramic midrange and 2×1″ ribbon based tweeter.
- ACOUSTIC PERFORMANCE – Frequency range: 38-20.000 Hz. Max output: 103 dB SPL/ 1m.
- MATERIALS – Libratone Lounge is made of exclusive materials including a body of wood, high-end piano finish and Italian cashmere wool.
- DIMENSIONS – H: 22 cm. W: 100 cm. D: 12 cm. Weight: 12 kg. H: 8.7 in. W: 40 in. D: 4.7 in. Weight: 27 pounds.
- POWER – 110-230 Volt AC, 50/60Hz. Power consumption 80/6 W. Energy saving standby power consumption of only 1 W.Libratone Lounge is not rechargeable and needs to be connected to mains (110 – 230V AC) to play.
- IN THE BOX – Libratone Lounge speaker, Mains cable, Wall mount, analog/digital cable and Quick Start Guide.