Linksys Launches Next Generation WRT Router with AC3200
Bohs Hansen / 3 years ago
Linksys announced the next generation of its WRT router, the WRT3200ACM, featuring Tri-Stream 160 technology and creating the fastest Dual Band router available. With MU-MIMO technology for simultaneous Wi-Fi connections to multiple devices at the same time and being open-source ready for complete flexibility, the WRT3200ACM allows customization of networking functions and optimization of the router for specific use cases such as gaming, security, advanced users/IT administrators or for commercial applications.
Linksys has one of the broadest MU-MIMO portfolios around and with the WRT3200 the family got one bigger. MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output) is the next generation Wi-Fi 802.11ac Wave 2 technology, which helps improve overall performance and efficiency of a Wi-Fi network while providing dedicated bandwidth to MU-MIMO capable client devices as if they have their own dedicated router.
Most home and SOHO routers today use the 80 MHz channel for the 5 GHz band, but the WRT3200 supports Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) which allows operation up to 160 MHz. The Tri-Stream technology allows the router to use three streams at 160 MHz channel width to drive data at 867 Mbps per stream, providing up to 2.6 Gbps. That is quite impressive.
“We just made the WRT even more powerful, and equipped it with even more features as well as kept true to our word with Open Source support,” said Vince La Duca, Linksys product manager. “Linksys WRT is all about making the best router in its class by using all enterprise-grade components and materials while delivering the fastest wireless experience. Our WRT3200ACM now includes MU-MIMO providing the latest AC wave 2 spec, adds DFS certification to use clear Wi-Fi channels for less interference, as well as support for Tri-Stream 160 technology. We have also increased the processor clock speed to 1.8 GHz, added up to 512MB DDR3 flash memory and kept the eSATA and USB ports that WRT enthusiasts continue to appreciate.”
The wireless technology is backed by solid hardware all around, from CPU and RAM to connection options. The newly updated Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app also allows users to manage and monitor their home or office Wi-Fi via the cloud from their mobile device, anytime, anywhere.
The new Linksys WRT3200ACM MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router will be available to buy in November at an MSRP of £199.99.
- Enterprise-grade 802.11 ac Wi-Fi radios (backward-compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n)
Speeds up to 2600 Mbps on the 5 GHz band
Speeds up to 600 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band
- Dual-Band 3×3 with Tri-Stream 160 Technology
- Enterprise-grade 1.8GHz dual-core ARM-based CPU
- 256 MB Flash
- 512 MB DDR3 RAM
- DFS certified to operate in the clearest Wi-Fi airspace
- SOHO-grade 5-port Ethernet switch
- 4 Gigabit LAN ports, 1 Gigabit WAN port
- 1 x eSATA/USB 2.0 port
- 1 x USB 3.0 port
- UPnP Server
- Four detachable external antennas
- VPN Support (5 Open VPN Tunnels)
- IPsec pass-through
- Browser-based setup for installation from device PC/Mac, smartphone or tablet
- Can be configured as router, access point, range extender (aka repeater), or wireless bridge
- Ability to hide SSID broadcast
- Setup wizard sets up two SSIDs, one per radio band
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi can be accessed from a browser or the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app for iOS and Android
- Built-in DLNA-compatible media server and FTP server to share files
- Drag-and-drop media prioritisation to prioritise bandwidth for devices, applications or games
- Parental controls to prevent access to websites or block access during certain hours
- Dynamic DNS services supported: No-IP, DynDNS and TZO
- Built-in speed test to test broadband upload and download speed
- Open source ready