MSI Shows Off Custom Cooler and PCB of Upcoming GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X Video Card
Ron Perillo / 6 years ago
MSI has been teasing their upcoming custom GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X video card for the past few weeks, but now they are giving everyone an even closer look at their offering by taking off the custom cooler to reveal what is underneath. Aside from those custom designs however, the MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X will have three presets available out of the box similar to other MSI Gaming series video cards. In OC mode, the Gaming mode has the default clocks of 1544MHz core, 1657MHz boost and 11016MHz memory, but in silent mode all those clocks are lowered to 1480MHz base, 1582MHz boost and 11000MHz memory. The silent mode is basically he same reference clocks as the Founder’s Edition version. The third mode is the OC mode which is the highest factory overclock available on the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X, setting the core clock up to 1569MHz with 1683MHz boost and 11124MHz memory.
Too keep the GPU cool during operation, MSI employs the latest in their Twin Frozr VI cooling system with Torx 2 fans having five heatpipes, four of which are 6mm thick while a fifth heatpipe is 8mm thick running along the middle. This cooling system has two separate independent fin arrays for each of the fan blowing downward and the VRM heatsink also has an independent block directly underneath the fan towards the front.
Unlike the reference Founder’s Edition GTX 1080 Ti which has a 7+2 GPU+MEM phase VRM, the MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X upgrades it to an 8+2 phase design, using solid capacitors and Super Ferrite chokes. It requires two 8-pin power connectors unlike the Founder’s Edition which uses a 6-pin and an 8-pin connector. Each MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X also comes with a backplate pre-installed.
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X features:
The Ultimate GAMING: TWIN FROZR VI
- Smooth Heat Pipes: Squared shape at bottom maximize heat transfer from the copper base plate.
- Zero Frozr: Stopping the fan in low-load situations, keeping a noise-free environment.
- Airflow Control: Technology Deflectors thrusts air onto heat pipes for lower temperatures and better gaming.
TORX FAN 2.0: Supremely silent
- Dispersion fan blade: Steeper curved blade accelerating the airflow.
- Traditional fan blade: Provides steady airflow to massive heat sink below.
- Double ball bearing: Strong and lasting core for years of smooth gaming.Gaming App
- Instant Performance Gain: Unlock extra
- Instant Performance Gain: Unlock extra performance or keep your card silent
- during light use in one click.
- LED control: Full control on your RGB GAMING LEDs to set the mood.