MSI Unveils Turbo U.2 Adapter Card
Bohs Hansen / 3 years ago
MSI has unveiled a new U.2 host card for use with SATA-Express SSDs such as the 2.5-inch Intel 750 that can deliver up to 2400MB/s transfer speeds. While we have seen such adapters bundled with a few selected top motherboards before, MSI’s stands out a bit.
The SATA-Express connector stands a bit out in this world where all technology keeps getting smaller and smaller. It’s quite a large one. This is where the U.2 connector comes in, as it’s basically a cabled version of the M.2. It allows the same great bandwidth up to 32 GB/s on a PCIe x4 connection.
MSI added a little twist to their version that I don’t think that we have seen before. They added what they call the U.2 redriver and it is a kind of amplifier that helps maintain the best transfer signal strength possible, and thereby the best possible transfer speeds.
MSI also made sure that the U.2 Host adapter supports PCIe RAID, allowing you to use two of these on motherboards that support it. In return, you can RAID your brand new NVMe SSDs for impressive speeds up to 3500MB/s read and 2000MB/s write.
MSI will without a doubt bundle this adapter with some of their flagship motherboards, but the packaging also suggests that it will be sold as separate add-on.
- Supports U.2 interface SSD with NVMe driver
- U.2 redriver: The signal amplifier for better performance
- The best compatibility: Compatible for all M.2 slot in PCI-E mode
- Maximum Bandwidth: PCI-E 3.0 x4 (up to 32 Gb/s)
- Input Interface: M.2 (Key M)
- Output Interface: U.2 Host Connector up to 32 Gb/s
- Compatible OS: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10
- Compatible for M.2 2280 slot