Nintendo Switch Quietly Adds GameCube Controller Support
Ashley Allen / 3 years ago
Last week, we reported about the release of the Nintendo Switch’s latest firmware update, version 4.0.0. However, there’s one important feature absent from the official release notes. As it happens, the Switch now supports GameCube controllers. Specifically, the firmware adds support for the Wii U GameCube Controller Adapter. Of course, GameCube controllers are the interface of choice for most Smash Bros. players. Are we to see a new (or rereleased) Smash Bros game on the Switch soon? Either way, GameCube controller support is a boon for enjoying a host of existing and forthcoming Switch-available games.
— Mewkin (@LeMewkin) October 23, 2017
Secret GameCube Controller Support
Why did Nintendo add GameCube controller support without fanfare? It’s strange, to be sure. Saying that, Nintendo is certainly in the habit of making headscratching decisions. This could well be another to add to the list.
It’s surprising that the feature is absent from the 4.0.0 release notes. See for yourself:
Improvements Included in Version 4.0.0
Added the following system functionality
- Capture video on select games
- To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay
- Up to a maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
- As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2
- Select from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Transfer user and save data to another system
- To transfer, head to System Settings > Users > Transfer Your User and Save Data
- Pre-purchase option on Nintendo eShop
- A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.
- This feature will be supported by future game releases
News channel updates
- The news feed has been updated with a new look.
- Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel’s content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.
- Match software version with a group of local users
- To create a group, head to the software’s Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
- Everyone’s software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
- All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Changed the specification which hid wireless networks using TKIP security from the network search results. Wireless networks using TKIP security will now display in search results as a grayed-out selection instead of not being displayed
- The Nintendo Switch console supports WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), and WPA2-PSK(AES). If your router is using a different security type (e.g. WPA-PSK(TKIP)), you will need to change this security type within your router’s settings.