Official Thief Companion App Released Ahead Of Launch
Peter Donnell / 4 years ago
Square Enix and Eidos-Montréal, the award winning studio behind the critically acclaimed Deus Ex: Human Revolution, today announced that an official Thief companion app is heading to Android and iOS devices. The companion app will enable fans to gain additional insight into the Thief universe and offer a second-screen experience to fully engage with the game upon its release.
The lite version available in multiple languages later this month includes Thief news as it happens, access to all the latest trailers, artwork, exclusive screenshots and in-depth character bios and further details of the game’s story.
The full version of the app, priced at $2.99, will be available when the game launches and is packed with additional functionality and content including:
- Direct Link to the main game to track your in-game stats and stolen loot
- Official Wiki created in partnership with IGN.com
- Official interactive digital maps created by Prima
- Issues #1 and #2 of the Official THIEF digital comics created by Dark Horse Comics
- Exclusive never before seen art and background content direct from the development team
- Access to official THIEF merchandise
We are also announcing the ultimate pre-order incentive in partnership exclusively with the world’s largest multichannel retailer of video games, GameStop, and its stores worldwide. Pre-order Thief and you will receive:
- The full version of the Thief Android App worth $2.99
- The official soundtrack composed by Luc St Pierre performed by the Prague philharmonic orchestra worth $9.99
- The in-game Bank Heist mission announced previously worth $4.99
Personally I think it is pretty insulting to ask gamers to pay for a premium copy of the app after forking out $60 for the game, it should be complimentary to the game if it’s so integral to the experience and not everyone will be willing to pre-order at Gamestop to get it included. Still, I like the idea overall, but I’m losing my patience with developers finding ways of adding a few bucks to their games at launch.
Thief is due for release on February 25, 2014 in North America.
Thank you Thief for providing us with this information.
Image courtesy of Thief.