Philips Momentum 559M1RYV 4K 120Hz Monitor Review
Peter Donnell / 2 years ago
We’re just two weeks away from the anniversary of one of the largest review samples I have ever received. The Philips Momentum 55″ 4K HDR Ambiglow 120Hz Gaming Monitor stunned me when it turned up on a pallet and took around 90 minutes to unbox. It was a beast. So imagine my excitement and concern when I found out it’s going to Groundhog Day in the office today. The new Philips Momentum 559M1RYV has arrived, and while it’s broadly the same TV/Monitor, it has some notable upgrades. Namely, HDMI 2.1, offering the ability to play at 4K 120Hz, with HDR and all those other lovely luxurious. However, it’s actually a 144Hz capable screen, it’s just that they market 4K 120Hz, as this absolute beast of a monitor is designed for the new Xbox Series X, not that you can’t use it with other consoles, your PC, or hook up an Nvidia Shield TV (or similar) to use it for your movies and TV.
Philips Momentum 559M1RYV
It’s a powerful panel, offering 750 cd/m2 brightness in SDR mode while HDR Mode pushes to 1200 cd/m², giving it DisplayHDR 1000 certification (basically, HDR Premium certification) and that’s going to look stunning. Colours hit DCI-P3 Coverage: 95%, NTSC 104%, sRGB 125% too, so things are going to look great there. You get VRR (variable refresh rate), so you’ll always get silky-smooth performance. Inputs are HDMI 2.1 x 3, DP 1.4 x 1, USB-C x 1 (DP Alt mode, PD 65 W). Finally, there’s even a powerful Bowers & Wilkins soundbar built-in too. The list of features is extensive, but how about we get right to the good stuff!
- Designed for Xbox for the optimal gaming experience – Unleash your console gaming. We partnered with the Xbox team to develop this Designed for Xbox display that is validated to deliver the optimal Xbox Series X visual performance the moment that you plug it in.
- Smooth console gaming at 4K/120 Hz – Game with ultra-clear 4K resolution at a smooth 120 Hz refresh rate when you connect your Xbox Series X and other next-gen consoles via one of multiple HDMI 2.1 connections. A faster refresh rate ensures less skipped frames, showing enemy movement in an ultra-clear, smooth motion to easily target them.
- 4K/144 Hz PC gaming on the big screen – PC gamers who demand a true 4K gaming experience with the fastest refresh rate of 144 Hz can now enjoy even smoother performance with the included connections.
- Purpose-built for low latency gaming – Unlike standard TVs, Philips Momentum gaming displays are purpose-built with low lag and lightning-fast pixel response as a priority and supports fast-paced, reaction time-sensitive games . The display also provides variable refresh rate (VRR) support for Xbox Series X to achieve a seamlessly smooth motion.
- DisplayHDR 1000 for truly vivid details and realism – VESA-certified DisplayHDR 1000 delivers a dramatically different visual experience vs. other ‘HDR compatible’ screens. Extreme deep blacks and bright whites contrast with brilliant colours to bring out details that you’ve never experienced before. Gamers can spot enemies hiding in the dark corners and shadows easily and movie viewers can enjoy a more compelling and lifelike show. This Philips Momentum comes with several HDR modes, each optimised for your usage scenarios: HDR Game, HDR Movie and HDR Photo.
- Integrated Bowers & Wilkins speakers for immersive sound – A new standard for gaming audio: covered by an acoustically transparent wool-blend Kvadrat material, the integrated speaker system by legendary speaker experts Bowers & Wilkins delivers an epic sound experience. With an integrated woofer, high-quality midrange drivers and tweeters, you can feel the action around you. This Philips Momentum display also offers True Sound audio modes specially tuned by Bowers & Wilkins: simply select an audio mode to optimise your gaming, viewing or listening experience.
- Ambiglow adds a new dimension to your viewing experience – The innovative Ambiglow technology enhances the content on the screen by creating a halo of light from the monitor. Its fast processor analyses the incoming image content, continuously adapts the colour and brightness of the emitted light to match the image. Especially suited for watching movies, sports or playing games, Philips Ambiglow offers you a unique and immersive viewing experience.
- LowBlue mode and Flicker-free easy-on-the eyes viewing – Our LowBlue Mode and Flicker-free technology have been developed to reduce eye strain and fatigue often caused by long hours in front of a monitor.
- USB-C one cable does it all – This Philips display features a USB type-C connector with power delivery. With intelligent and flexible power management, you can power charge your compatible device directly. Its slim, reversible USB-C allows for easy, one-cable connection. You can watch high-resolution video while powering up and re-charging your compatible device at the same time.
- MultiView enables simultaneous dual connect and view – With the ultra-high resolution Philips MultiView display, you can now experience a world of connectivity. MultiView enables active dual connect and view so that you can work with multiple devices like a PC and notebook simultaneously, for complex multitasking.
Optimised Performance for Next-Gen Console Gaming
For true console gaming enthusiasts, the Designed for Xbox Momentum display delivers a new era of gaming. Level up with sound by audio experts Bowers & Wilkins and new Ambiglow lighting for deeper immersion and overall gaming awesomeness.
Check out the Philips product page for more information.