Popcap games announces first major merchandising agreements
Peter Donnell / 7 years ago
PopCap Games, maker of some of the world’s most popular video game franchises, today announced it has finalized a number of licensing deals that expand its blockbuster properties beyond the digital realm into new formats, mediums and products for the first time in the company’s twelve year history. PopCap’s first brand licensing agreements have been signed with Trends International, Bioworld Merchandising, Funko, MjC International, Jazwares and Walls360. The first products from PopCap’s partners will begin appearing this spring and will be based on the company’s global hit franchise Plants vs. Zombies, with plans to bring Bejeweled and other franchises to fans in early 2013.
The agreements announced today represent the first major partnerships PopCap has entered to license its properties for consumer products in the North American and European territories. Each partnership represents an exciting opportunity to expand PopCap’s franchises into the following new product categories:
- Bioworld Merchandising will be creating apparel, headwear, bags and accessories
- Jazwares is developing a series of plush toys, figures and electronic accessories including headphones, USBs, speakers and device cases
- Walls360 will be offering a starting line-up of wall graphics including individual characters and exclusive bundles
- Funko will be creating Plants vs. Zombies versions of their distinctive Pop! Vinyl Figurines
- MjC International is working on adult sleepwear and boxers
- Trends International is developing calendars and posters
“We’re taking a measured, deliberate approach to licensing our IPs, focusing on quality brand extensions that expand our unique game icons and experiences for our fans in authentic, meaningful ways,” said Brennan Townley, director of brand licensing at PopCap Games. “The partnerships we’ve announced today represent partnerships with some of the most highly regarded licensees in their respective categories.”
Known for its quirky, one-of-a-kind blend of art, humor, polish and attention to detail, PopCap has been a mainstay of casual, mobile and social gaming for more than a decade. Nearly a billion people around the world have played PopCap’s video games, including the award-winning blockbuster franchises Bejeweled, Plants vs. Zombies, Zuma, Peggle and Bookworm. The breadth of PopCap’s audience is similarly impressive, as its games appeal equally to both genders and all ages.