San Francisco Coupled Died Due to Carbon Monoxide from 3D Laser Cutter
Peter Donnell / 2 years ago
Update: This story has been edited to reflect the use of a Laser CNC, not a 3D Printer.
A couple in San Francisco, as well as their two cats, were found dead in their home last Monday. The MIT graduates, aged 35 and 32, suffered lethal carbon monoxide poisoning caused by the operation of their 3D CNC printer.
The couple were operating a laser CNC machine (previously reported as a 3D printer) system, which are typically pretty safe, but dependant on the materials you’re using to print, burning plastics and other materials can give off carbon monoxide. With some cutting jobs lasting hours, in same cases much longer, it’s easy to see how this gas could build up in a room or area that may not be well ventilated. It’s unclear the full circumstances of how the machine was being used, only that it was revealed as the source of the CO.
A GoFundMe page was started to help with costs of getting friends and family into town for their funeral, which had raised more than $15,000 in just 3 days. Our thoughts are with their families.
If you’re operating a 3D printer, laser cutter or anything similar, remember to keep the workspace ventilated and invest in a carbon monoxide alarm for your property too, as you can’t see or smell carbon monoxide, and it never hurts to play it safe. Also, be sure to check warning labels on materials to ensure they’re clean burning and safe, or prepare accordingly.