Silicon Motion Introduces the SM689 and SM681 FerriSSDs
Ron Perillo / 3 years ago
Another Innovation from Silicon Motion
Last year, Silicon Motion announced their first single-chip 3D NAND SSD. Now they are announcing that they have the world’s first PCIe NVMe single-chip SSDs with Enterprise-grade data protection features. The SM689 and SM681 joins the SM601 (PATA) and SM619 (SATA) solutions in the Silicon Motion FerriSSD family. Just like the previous drives, the SM689 and SM681 are ideal for computing applications in industrial, commercial, enterprise and automotive end-markets.
What Features Does the SM689 and SM681 FerriSSDs Have?
Both drives share similar features, including the following.
- End-to-end data path protection, which applies error correction code (ECC) to the SSD’s SRAM and DRAM buffers as well as to the primary NAND Flash memory array
- DRAM data cache to ensure data programming and enable data redundancy, without delaying host processor operations
- Hybrid Zone which enables a single disk to be partitioned into single-level cell (SLC) and multi-level cell/three-level cell (MLC/TLC) zones, enabling faster access speeds and data retention
- Intelligent Scan/DataRefresh protects against the higher data loss from operating at high temperatures
- NANDXtend technology incorporating Silicon Motion’s proprietary 4th generation high-performance LDPC ECC engine with RAID. This ensures better data integrity even in extreme physical environments
- 16mm x 20mm (SM689) and 11.5mm x 13mm (SM681) single-chip package
- Supports industrial temperatures from -40 to 85 degrees Celsius
- Densities ranging from 16GB to 256GB at launch
The distinction however, is that the SM681 is a DRAMless solution. In terms of performance, the SM689 supports PCIe Gen 3×4 interface while SM681 supports PCI Gen 3×2 interface. This results in sequential read speed of up to 1.45GB/s and sequential write speed of up to 650MB/s.
Silicon Motion intends to show off these drives in person at the Embedded World Exhibition in Nuremberg, Germany from February 27 through March 1 2018.
By supporting eTeknix, you help us grow and continue to bring you the latest news, reviews, and competitions. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest technology, share your favourite articles, chat with the team and more. Also check out eTeknix YouTube, where you’ll find our latest video reviews, event coverage and features in 4K!