AMD launch Opteron 3200 series
Ryan Martin / 5 years ago
AMD today announced the latest solution as part of its ongoing Web/Cloud initiative with the launch of the new AMD Opteron 3200 Series processor. Dedicated Web hosting customers seeking enterprise-class reliability have a new choice that delivers:
- Great value with up to 38% better price performance and up to 19% less power per core than the competition;
- ECC memory and server reliability features at a low price-point;
- Fast hardware payback — in as few as 7 months hosting fees can cover hardware costs — up to 14% quicker than with the competition;
- Efficient economics for the Cloud with twice the core density per rack.
Since the launch of its new core server architecture, and AMD Opteron 4200 and 6200 Series processors last November, AMD unveiled a disruptive server strategy and intentions to leverage its leading graphics IP while driving down the power in future SoC offerings. As part of accelerating this, AMD recently announced it had entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Cloud pioneer SeaMicro.
Today AMD has delivered on its promise of a low-power, single-socket solution that brings server functionality with desktop economics. The AMD Opteron 3000 Series platform is targeted to the dense, power efficient 1P Web hosting/Web server market. Available in either 4- or 8-core CPUs, the AMD Opteron 3200 Series processor is shipping today in platforms from MSI, Tyan, Fujitsu and Dell. Based on the “Bulldozer” core, the AMD Opteron 3000 Series platform leverages Socket AM3+ and provides customers with the cost savings associated with a “desktop-like” infrastructure, yet still offers server-class reliability, enterprise-class silicon validation/testing, security features and server OS certification.
Key Facts, Performance and Technical Detail
- 45 W to 65 W TDP
- 2.7 GHz base frequency, up to 3.7 GHz frequency using AMD Turbo CORE technology
- 4- and 8-core options
- 2 DDR3 memory channels supporting ECC UDIMM
- 1333, 1600, 1866 MHz memory speed
- Supports 1.5V, 2Rank
- Up to 32 GB memory capacity
- Supports up to 2 DIMMs per memory channel
- Total Cache: 16 MB for 8-core, 8 MB for 4-core
- L2 Cache: up to 8 MB total
- L3 Cache: up to 8MB total