Apricorn Introduces the Aegis Padlock 3.0 Secure Portable Drive
Ryan Martin / 4 years ago
Apricorn has announced a new and improved version of its popular Aegis Padlock drive, the Aegis Padlock 3.0. The reinvented Aegis Padlock 3.0 combines an integrated USB 3.0 interface, increasing data transfer speeds by up to 500% over the USB 2.0 version. There is also enhanced AES-XTS hardware encryption, a software free design andplus new security features to create a powerful mobile data storage device. Available in capacities up to 1 TB with either a ruggedized, shock mounted hard drive (prices start at $169) or with an SSD (prices start at $199).
Protection from Unauthorized Access that is both easy to deploy and simple to use
- Onboard Alphanumeric Keypad for Secure Access: Simply unlock the Aegis Padlock with your own unique 6-16 digit PIN. The embedded keypad prevents hardware or software malware attempts to capture your password entered via the host system.
- Military Grade AES-XTS Hardware Encryption: All data on the drive is protected in real-time using your choice of AES-XTS 128-bit or 256-bit hardware encryption. Encryption keys and PINs are never exposed to the host system and are protected using SHA-256 hashing cryptographic algorithm.
- Software Free Design: With no Admin rights to contend with and no software or drivers to install, the Aegis Padlock 3.0 can work with any USB enabled OS, including Windows, Mac and Linux.
New Security Features make the Aegis Padlock 3.0 Ideal for Corporate Environments
- Auto-lock: The unattended Aegis Padlock 3.0 can be configured to lock after a pre-determined amount of time of your choosing. Ideal for protecting your data when you’re away from your computer.
- Independent Admin and User PINs: Simple to deploy and manage in corporate environments, the Aegis Padlock 3.0 can be configured with independent Admin and User PINs. If the user forgets their PIN, the drive can be unlocked using the Admin PIN.
- Convenient Drive Reset Feature: The Aegis Padlock 3.0 also employs a useful drive reset feature, which can be implemented with a unique command. This clears all PINs and data, and creates a new randomly generated encryption key, enabling the drive to be reset and redeployed as many times as needed.
- Brute Force Defense Mechanism: Protecting against automated attempts to crack the drive’s PIN, the Aegis Padlock 3.0 uses a three pronged approach to protect itself from hackers; after denying access to incorrect PINs 5 times, the Padlock requires the drive to be disconnected and reconnected to the USB port. Once the maximum number of failed attempts has been reached the Aegis Padlock 3.0 deletes the encryption key rendering all stored data useless and requiring a complete reset in order to redeploy the drive.
For corporate and government customers, Apricorn also provides a free corporate evaluation plan, enabling IT security professionals to fully assess the Aegis Padlock 3.0 as it pertains to their company’s security strategy.
Availability: Apricorn’s Aegis Padlock 3.0 is available from online retailers and Apricorn’s website.
Warranty: 1 year limited
Hard Drive Model
128-bit AES model
250 GB: $169
500 GB: $189
1 TB: $239
256-bit AES model
250 GB: $179
500 GB: $199
1 TB: $249
256-bit AES model
64 GB: $199
128 GB: $379
256 GB: $759