MediaTek announces Bluetooth 4 and 802.11ac Wireless mobile combo chip
Ryan Martin / 421 days ago
MediaTek today announced availability of its MT7650, the world’s first and only 802.11ac plus Bluetooth 4.0+HS combo chip designed for mobile consumer platforms. The MediaTek MT7650 combines the latest IEEE 802.11ac technology, Bluetooth 4.0 LE functionality, and the company’s unprecedented Wi-Fi/Bluetooth coexistence algorithm onto a single die to support high quality voice, data and video transmissions up to 433 Mbps, while enabling ultra low power Bluetooth Low Energy connectivity.
The MediaTek MT7650 is compliant with the new 802.11ac standard and leverages the strengths of MediaTek’s industry leading Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth combo chip technologies that are currently shipping in laptops and smartphones. It dramatically improves user experience with 2.8x data rate increase from 150Mbps of single stream 802.11n. This highly integrated chip supports dual band 2.4/5GHz configuration with 80 MHz channel bandwidth, 256-QAM modulation scheme for increased data transfer efficiency, receive beam forming for extended range and capacity, and Space-Time Block Codes (STBC) coding technologies for better wireless coverage. This chip also supports Wi-Fi Display, Wi-Fi Direct and TDLS for full peer-to-peer functionalities between mobile and home consumer products.
Key product features of the MediaTek MT7650 include:
- All-In-One (MAC/Baseband/Radio) 802.11ac Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0+HS single chip
- Dual band 2.4/5GHz single stream 802.11ac support for up to 433 Mbps data rate (HT80) with antenna diversity
- Supports Wi-Fi Direct and Wi-Fi Display
- Compliant with Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, Bluetooth 3.0 + HS and Bluetooth 4.0 LE
- Support for BT Class 1 operation for better Bluetooth range
- Advanced WLAN + Bluetooth coexistence algorithm for optimized performance
- Support single antenna configuration for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals to reduce system design cost
- Shared Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signal receiving path to eliminate the need for an external splitter
- Supports Wake-on-WLAN and Wake-on-Bluetooth for reduced power consumption of end devices
- Operating systems support: Windows 7, Windows 8 and Linux