White House Trying To Prevent Ruling On NSA
Peter Edward / 3 years ago
The White House has acknowledged for the first time that the NSA’s bulk data collection of internet and phone activity was authorized by President Bush after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. With the administration of current President Barack Obama, filing papers with the Northern Districts of California to try and prevent a federal judge from issuing a ruling to see whether the government’s surveillance programs are constitutional.
James R. Clapper Jr. the director of national intelligence wrote;
“President Bush issued authorizations approximately every 30 to 60 days. Although the precise terms changed over time, each presidential authorization required the minimization of information collected concerning American citizens to the extent consistent with the effective accomplishment of the mission of detection and prevention of acts of terrorism within the United States. The NSA also applied additional internal constraints on the providentially authorized activities.”
These filings made by the White House come directly after another federal judge earlier this week said that the NSA’a data collection activities were likely unconventional. The Obama administration has argued that even with the leaks from former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, further more revelations about the NSA’s surveillance and data collection programs could put the governments security at risk if they were to be divulged in court. With this being said the US District Court has ordered the government to evaluate how and if Snowden’s leaks had affected the Invocation of the State Secrets Privilege, with this being the main defense that the Obama administration is relying on to stop the ruling and prevent information being used in court. We’ll keep you updated on this story as more develops.
Thank you CNET for the information provided.
Image courtesy of Lifestyle Lounge.