Man Gunned Down with a Shotgun Survived Thanks to His iPhone

/ 3 years ago

The damaged iPhone with the shotgun marks. A father of two who was gunned down in a revenge attack after he challenged vandals terrorising his neighbourhood cheated death when the bullets hit his iPhone. Daniel Kennedy was blasted with a sawn off double barrelled shotgun on a public footpath as he remonstrated with teenagers who had been intimidating locals and who had switched off the local water supply as a prank but miraculously Mr Kennedy's life was saved with the bullets smashed into his mobile phone which he kept in his pocket and deflected them away from his vital organs. He was able to get to his feet and stagger towards a block of flats where he lived and raise the alarm. Police later found the damaged iPhone which fell out of the victim's pocket as he tumbled to the ground, with tests showing it took the brunt of the shotgun blast. Details of the shooting emerged as teenager Ryan Duggan from Widnes, Cheshire was convicted of attempted murder and  possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life following a three day trial at Chester Crown Court.

It’s interesting how a gadget that’s not exactly known for its durability actually ends up saving a man’s life. A 25-year-old young man named Daniel Kennedy was shot with a sawn-off shotgun on a public pathway in Widnes, Cheshire on October 15 last year. Apparently, Daniel went off to confront a group of teenagers for switching off the local water supply as a prank, and 19-year-old Ryan Duggan thought it was a better idea to shoot him instead.

Fortunately for Daniel, his iPhone 5c blocked most of the shotgun pellets and appears to have saved his life, but he still ended up in the hospital with serious abdominal injuries. After a three-day trial, the Chester Crown Court convicted Ryan of attempted murder and possession of a firearm, and he is scheduled to receive his sentence in July.

SEE ALSO:  Microsoft CEO To iPad Owners 'Get a Real Computer!'

Regarding the incident, Detective inspector Gary McIntyre, of Cheshire Police, stated the following: “Duggan’s actions that night were extreme and shocking – the victim went outside to speak to the group about the fact they had turned off the water supply resulting in the defendant shooting him with a powerful weapon.”

“Fortunately, the victim’s mobile phone took the brunt of the shot and, as a result of this, he survived.”

“This is remarkable – had that phone not been in his pocket at that time he would undoubtedly have died.”

Looking at the picture of the phone following the incident and seeing how damaged it is, I’d say the detective was definitely right about that last part.

Thank you for providing us with this information.


Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!