Mike’s Rant – Is YouTube Killing The Platform With Adverts?
Mike Sanders / 3 months ago
Is YouTube Killing Themselves With Adverts?
It’s been more than a little while since I had a chance for a good rant. Then again, I feel I’ve had very little to grumble about recently which is certainly a little unusual. Perhaps I’ve been a bit too busy…
Like many of yourselves, whenever I get some time to kill, it’s often spend perusing the avenues of YouTube to see which bizarre streets I’ll end up on. For example, last night I ended up watching a strangely interesting video about fire ants.
If I have, however, noticed something that has really started to annoy me in recent months, however, it’s the manner in which adverts have become far more notable, pervasive and ultimately annoying!
Have Adverts Increased?
You might have considered within the last couple of months ‘are there more adverts on YouTube now?’ and you’d be right to do so. There are!
As of November 2018, YouTube really ramped up the manner in which adverts were displayed. Put simply, the amount that you would see in a video was doubled. In addition, a particular emphasis was placed on unskippable adverts, often now running 2 in tandem.
I’m Not Adverse To Adverts!
While I am aware that there are ways you can bypass the adverts, on the whole, I’m not against them. YouTube gives me a lot of entertainment and, until recently, didn’t ask much of me for it. This ramp up in adverts, however, has gotten simply ridiculous. I can literally see 6-10 adverts appear in a video only 30 minutes long!
Part of me is genuinely starting to believe that YouTube, in an effort to sell their advert-free premium subscription service, has simply upped the ads to make us want to pay to permanently remove them.
Have you noticed how we’ve all been offered a 1-months free trial of it?
Enough IS Enough!
As above, I have nothing against adverts being used to make me effectively pay for YouTube. Things have, however, simply gotten ridiculous. You can’t watch a video anymore without constantly having adverts appear to disrupt content that ironically YouTube didn’t make and probably doesn’t pay the creator for anyway!
I’m not saying that I’m turning off YouTube, but at this point, I’m more than open to an alternative coming along! – I’m pretty sure many of the content creators are too!
What do you think? – Is Mike Right? – Let us know in the comments!
Did you like Mike’s Rant? If so, be sure to check out more below!
- Mikes Rant 1 – Why I hate system snobs!
- Mikes Rant 2 – The over and misuse of the word ‘troll’.
- Mike’s Rant 3 – Stop Blaming Video Games for your violent children!
- Mike’s Rant 4 – Why EA should just go away and die!
- Mikes Rant 5 – The Worst Tech Purchases I Ever Made!
- Mike’s Rant 6 – Graphical Snobs Should Shut Up and Enjoy Gaming!
- Mike’s Rant 7 – PC Games Are Getting Too Damn Expensive!
- Mikes Rant 8 – Has The Switch Really Saved Nintendo?
- Mike’s Rant 9 – Games That Really Deserve Sequels!
- Mikes Rant 10 – Are Prices Killing PC Builders?
- Mikes Rant 11 – Despite New DLC Is World of Warcraft Dead?
- Mike’s Rant 12 – Can AMD Truly Compete With Intel and Nvidia Again?
- Mikes Rant 13 – Is There Any Point In Going Dual-GPU?
- Mikes Rant 14 – Modern PC Owners Never Had It So Good!
- Mike’s Rant 15 – My Disturbing Theory On Nvidia’s RTX
- Mike’s Rant 16 – Social Media Needs Regulation Before It’s Too Late!
- Mikes Rant 17 – 5 Great Games That Have Aged Horrifically!
- Mike’s Rant 18 – Why I’m Not Going To Buy Battlefield V
- Mikes Rant 19 – Telltale is going and I’m not surprised!
- Mike’s Rant 20 – Five Ways AMD Could Dominate 2019
- Mikes Rant 21 – If you buy early access (and moan) you’re an idiot!
- Mike’s Rant 22 – Elon Musk – Lovable Rogue or Self-Destructive Idiot?
- Mike’s Rant 23 – Why 1080 Display IS Good Enough!
- Mikes Rant – 24 – Why Does Blizzard Hate It’s Fans?
- Mike’s Rant – 25 – Haters Are Wrong About Fallout 76!
- Mike’s Rant – 26 – A Christmas Rant Compilation! – Bests and Worsts of 2018!