StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War Are Now Free For All
Lefteris Papaiosif / 6 years ago
The original version of both StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War have been updated by Blizzard making them completely free for everyone to download and play. You can find the link to download the PC version right here, or if you are a Mac user here. The updated versions of StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War have improved compatibility with windows 7, 8.1 and 10, a new OpenGL backend, they support windowed fullscreen and windowed mode, Observer mode, UTF-8 and autosaving for replays.
These are the main features of the updated versions of StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War:
- Added windowed fullscreen or windowed mode; use Alt+Enter to switch between.
- Added UTF-8 support.
- Added cursor clamping in-game while windowed; unclamped in menus.
- Added Popular Maps to streamline finding games or game types.
- Added options to display actions per minute.
- Added Observer mode.
- Added opponent information when joining a game lobby.
- Added autosaving for replays.
- Added an option to display the game timer.
- Added UPnP support.
- Updated to a new OpenGL backend.
- Improved gameplay responsiveness during multiplayer by increasing turn rate to match LAN speeds over Battle.net.
- Improved UI layout in Battle.net sections.
- Improved behavior of available lobbies within the ‘Join Game’ section.
- Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
- Improved anticheat capabilities.
- Improved installation and patching performance.
- Mac Beta support now available for 10.11 and up.
- Fixed palette issues to correct rainbow water, 80s Kerrigan face in the loading screen and other graphic glitches.
- Fixed problems with LAN game discovery.
- Fixed IME support and other text artifacts in Battle.net menus.
- LAN and Legacy Battle.net fixes.
- The profile section is currently unavailable.
It’s true that these games came out quite a few years ago, and while the graphics are nothing to write home about by modern standards, the gameplay and storyline will definitely keep you hooked. If you never got around to playing them in the first place, now is the perfect time to give them a try.