Toshiba Increases N300 NAS HDD Capacity
Bohs Hansen / 4 years ago
Toshiba released 4TB and 6TB capacity version of the N300 series NAS drives last month and now they are back with a larger 8TB version. The Toshiba N300 series is designed for use at home and in small business setups that require up to 8 drives in a single setup. With 8TB drives, that equals up to 64TB raw storage and that should be plenty for most people.
The Toshiba N300 series feature platters with a rotation speed of 7200 RPM, making them high-performance drives. They also feature 128MB cache to increase the access times. With the default 3.5-inch form factor, they’re also compatible with pretty much any NAS device available on the market.
Naturally, the Toshiba N300 series is designed for 24/7/365 usage and they are optimised for reliability as well as endurance. The workload rating comes in at 180TB which is quite nice and more than most SMB’s require. In order to maximise reliability, Toshiba’s N300 series employs advanced technologies. These include advanced control and sensing technology to mitigate the effect of vibration, shock and heat and prevent downtime. Multiple shock sensors, for example, detect and compensate for shock and rotational vibration, while error recovery control minimizes recovery time from data errors. Reliability is further supported through Toshiba’s Ramp Load technology that reduces disk head wear and tear.
The 8 TB model of the High-Reliability Hard Drive N300 will be available from February 2017 and is backed by an extended three-year warranty. There was no word on the pricing at this.
- Part number – High-Reliability Hard Drive N300 – 8TB (retail version) HDWQ140EZSTA
- Form factor – 3.5-inch
- Interface – SATA
- Interface Speed – 6.0 Gbit/s
- Drive bays supported – 1 to 8
- Rotational Vibration (RV) sensor – yes
- 24 x 7 operation – yes
- RoHS compatible – yes
- Halogen Free – yes
- Rotational speed – 7,200 rpm
- Data transfer speed (Sustained) – 240 MB/s
- Buffer size – 128 MB
- Average latency – 4.17 ms
- Workloads – 180 TB/year
- MTTF – 1,000,000 hours
- Unrecoverable error rate – 1 x 1014 bits read
- Warranty – 3 years
- Power Consumption (operating) – 9.2 W typical
- Power Consumption (active idle) – 6.2 W typical
- Temperature (operating/non-operating) – 0 to 60 C /’-40 to 70 °C
- Vibration (operating) – 0.75 G (5 to 300 Hz) 0.25 G (300 to 500 Hz) or less
- Vibration (non-operating) – 5 G (5 to 500 Hz) or less
- Shock (operating) – 70 G / 2 ms duration
- Shock (non-operating) – 250 G / 2 ms duration
- Acoustics (idle mode) – 33 dB typ.
- Acoustics (seek mode) – 35 dB typ.
- Weight – 770 g max.