Categories: News

Microsoft to fix Actively Exploited Internet Explorer Security Flaw

Now, the chances are that the vast majority of you reading this probably don’t use Internet Explorer. With around 80% of us using Google Chrome, the remaining 20% is largely split between Edge, Opera, Firefox, etc. with only a tiny portion still using the ‘classic’ Microsoft browser.

Admittedly, the browser has largely been practically defunct for a few years now. That doesn’t, however, mean that there isn’t a lot of people still using it on older computers. I mean, it still works, right?…

Well, it seems that despite its age, there is a pretty significant security flaw that is confirmed as being actively exploited right now! In a report via Engadget, however, the good news is that Microsoft is currently working on fixing plugging the hole in their security! The bad news is, it’s not coming out for around 4-weeks!

Internet Explorer Security Vulnerability

Believed to be specifically affecting IE9, IE10, and IE11 while details of the flaw has not been disclosed, it is believed to allow people to execute code within the user’s PC that can bypass permissions.

In other words, systems can effectively be hijacked. The most concerning aspect, however, is that it has been confirmed that this exploit is currently being actively used!

What Can I Do?

The ‘hotfix’ for the flaw appears to lie in manually placing restrictions on access to jscript.dll via the security settings. Beyond that, however, users are going to have to wait for the patch. An update that isn’t expected to arrive until February 11th. Oh, and yes, this does apparently include IE9 and 10, despite them both being officially in ‘end of life’.

So, at this point, if you are still using Internet Explorer, you have two solid pieces of advice from us. Either make sure you apply that quick fix until the patch is released or, you know, actually just move to a different (and more modern) browser.

What do you think? Do you still use Internet Explorer? – Let us know in the comments!

Mike Sanders

Disqus Comments Loading...

Recent Posts

God of War Already Hits 1 Million Sales on PC!

It has been less than two weeks since God of War was released for PC…

21 hours ago

Intel Issues Warning to Those Overclocking Non-K Alder Lake-S CPUs

Technically speaking, if you want an Intel processor for the purpose of moderate homebrew overclocking,…

21 hours ago

Partial Intel Arc Alchemist Desktop Graphics Card Specs Leak Online

Although Intel, somewhat frustratingly I might add, made no mention of their desktop Arc Alchemist…

21 hours ago

Microsoft’s Windows 10 21H2 Update Will be (Basically) Mandatory

Although Windows 10 is going to be officially supported until 2025, the truth is that…

21 hours ago

Graphics Card Prices Might Finally Be Starting to Drop!

Ever since the debut of the Nvidia 30XX and AMD Radeon 6000 series, graphics cards…

21 hours ago

Microsoft Confirms Call of Duty Titles Will Still Come to PlayStation – For Now…

Let's be honest, while it always seemed possible, if not probable, that Activision might have…

21 hours ago