Cooler Master CK720 65% Gaming Keyboard Review
Peter Donnell / 5 months ago
Cooler Master has long been one of the most reliable makers of high-end keyboards. Actually, in their official blurb they say that their new CK720 is their first foray into enthusiast keyboards… bull…poop, they’ve been top of their game for about a decade now! Remember the Cooler Master Novatouch “the ultimate typing experience” or the CM Storm Aluminium Gaming Series keyboard that looked like a sci-fi weapon, Or the Masterkeys S, Masterkeys L, and Pro M RGB, the CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate, The slick low-profile SK650, or even just last year, the CK721 Hybrid! …and the list goes on, and while they may not be as advanced as the new CK720, they were all top of their game in their respective eras. Plus, it seems I’ve been reviewing Cooler Master keyboards far longer than their marketing team has been writing their blurbs haha.
Cooler Master CK720
One thing is for certain though, the Cooler Master CK720 is packing some seriously sweet features, with hot-swappable switches, a removable aluminium faceplate, a new stabiliser design, PBT doubleshot keycaps as standard, a rotary encoder, and much more beyond. The keyboard market, or more precisely, the enthusiast keyboard market, is big business these days, with countless smaller brands delivering unique premium keyboards that cost a small fortune. (I use a JamesDonkey RS2 myself, as I said… lots of unique brands out there). So, can the CK720 hold a light to the current crop of high-end models? Let’s find out!
- Hot-Swappable Switches – Upgrade your keeb with the latest and greatest hyped switches without the need for a soldering gun. Whether you’re on team Gateron, prefer fancy Alpacas, or you’re a hardcore Boba boi, we’ve got you covered.
- Kailh Box V2 Switches – See and feel why this hobby’s exploded in recent years with new factory-lubed Kaih Box White V2 Switches, known for their smoothness and satisfying sound. Don’t be surprised if it becomes the gateway into the world of other switches.
- Optimised Cooler Master Stabs – The CK720 is the first keyboard to utilize our new and improved stabilizers – optimized for minimal rattle, and pre-lubed for smoother travel. Plus they’re in a sexy purple color. After all, in this hobby it’s all about A E S T H E T I C S.
- Silicone Padding – We hate when boards sound hollow or plasticky. That’s why the CK720 comes with 2 separate silicone dampening pads: on the PCB and filling in the bottom cover. This not only absorbs the noise of keys, but enhances them so you get that thock and/or clack that’s incredibly satisfying for you – but maybe not as pleasing to those around you.
- Premium Keycaps – If you’re copping the CK720 in the US/UK/TC layout, you’ll get PBT doubleshot keycaps in your kit. PBT is the more durable cousin to standard ABS keycaps – protected from that unsightly shine from extended use. In addition, doubleshot construction means the legends are free from wearing off.
- Removable Top Plate – The CK720 is built to last, with a thoughtful design that’s equal parts minimalistic and rugged, with an aluminum top plate that is easily removable for customization or easy access for maintenance.
- Precision Dial – Better known as “rotary encoders” in nerdier circles, a three-way precision dial enables you to adjust volume, cycle through colour modes, and more – all customizable via our MasterPlus+ software.
- MasterPlus+ Suite Support – Adjust all your settings with our MasterPlus software, a unified control hub where managing all of your Cooler Master gear is easier than ever. Adjust all of your settings from one dashboard, and even sync your lighting settings across multiple devices with ease.
- No Software Required – When you’re in a groove, the last thing you want to do is Alt+Tab out to adjust your keyboard settings. The CK720 combats that with an innovative On-the-fly System. In the heat of battle, easily adjust per-key backlighting, switch lighting modes, and even record macros with just a few keypresses. Get the functionality of software without needing to have software bloating your system – saving you time and precious PC resources.
- Ergonomics – Adjustable feet improves the ergonomics of the CK720 by letting you control the angle of the keys to reduce wrist strain.
- Accessories – Coming soon we’ll have a braided coiled cable, PBT keycap sets and coloured aluminum top plates for you to customize and truly make the CK720 yours.
What Cooler Master Had to Say
“The CK720 mechanical keyboard is our first foray into enthusiast keyboards — approachable for everyone without making compromises on quality. It has all the hallmarks of endgame-quality keyboards, including Kailh Box V2 switches for an enthusiast-level typing feel. Plus, they’re hot-swappable so you can customize and use all your favourite switches. In addition, this is our first keeb with our new stabilizers, pre-lubed for smoother feedback and minimal rattle. And if that weren’t enough, we’ve also installed silicone padding to get maximum thock (or clack if you prefer). With the CK720, you’ve found your new everyday endgame.”