PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Creator Holds AMA Revealing Upcoming Plans
Mike Sanders / 1 year ago
Ask-Me-Anything says PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
Brendan Greene, the creators of the insanely popular PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds held an AMA yesterday and as per AMA standards, it ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous. We did, however, get some exciting revelations about what the future holds for the popular last-man-standing shooter.
The decision to hold an AMA isn’t entirely unexpected with sales recently topping 10m units.
While most questions received a generic ‘we’re looking into it’ answer, there were some genuine revelations about planned changes to the game.
So, whats the news?
To save you reading the AMA, although you are welcome to by clicking here, the major points, in brief, were as follows:
- A single player mode is planned for the future. Although at the moment is very much a long way off.
- The 2-key binding feature will continue to be excluded from the game. This option allowed players to do a jumping crouch action. Similar to what us older FPS players would call a ‘dolphin dive’.
- 3 new vehicles are being planned for release (I still love the Dacia).
- Greene denied allegations that popular streamers of the game received any preferential treatment. Specifically, allegations that people who trolled live streamers, by, for example, honking a car horn next to them, we’re being banned. A rumour in fairness, I had heard. Greene has completely denied this has happened.
- A ranking system will be introduced, but is still being worked out.
- A progression system is also in the works.
- Plans for a ‘nod’ to Father Ted in an upcoming update.
So plenty to discuss. Nothing, alas, about the $500 PUBG fashion accessory.
Some slight questions/concerns
Given that PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds recently topped the steam charts, beating Dota 2 into 2nd place, PUBG is exceeding all expectations. Therefore, some game development is to be expected.
I do, however, based on the above, have some minor concerns.
Generally speaking, it’s in regards to the ranking/progression. One of the significant fun factors in PUBG is the level playing field. Everyone parachutes out that plane with, statistically speaking, as much chance as any one else of being the last man (or woman) standing. I hope that any progression or leveling system does not affect that too much.
In regards to Father Ted, I think that’s fairly straightforward. I would expect in an upcoming update that ‘Craggy Island’ will appear. At the very least, the parochial house. Want to know how to find it? Just look for the guy wearing the “I shot JR” t-shirt.
When it comes out, you won’t have any trouble finding it. Just look for the guy wearing the “I shot JR” t-shirt.